The Old

Parsonage of

Andrew Tribble

 “The 53rd Baptist on the north side of the James River.”

 

The Rev. Andrew Tribble came to Kentucky in 1781, and built his log parsonage in Madison
County 1794 for his wife Sarah Burris and fourteen children. It was the site of prominent
weddings and community gatherings during his lifetime. It was moved to its current site in 1967,
in an attempt to save the house and create a Kentucky history museum.

Andrew Tribble served as patriot in the Revolutionary War and fought for religious freedom in America. His friendship with Thomas Jefferson is recorded as having influenced Jefferson’s
plan for American democracy.  The great statesman frequently came to Mr. Tribble’s meetings.  

ANDREW TRIBBLE was the Pastor of a small Baptist Church, which held its monthly meetings at a short distance from Mr. JEFFERSON’S house, eight or ten years before the American Revolution. Mr. JEFFERSON attended the meetings of the church for several months in succession, and after one of them, asked Elder TRIBBLE to go home and dine with him, with which he complied.

Mr. Tribble asked Mr. Jefferson if he was pleased with their Church Government? Mr. Jefferson replied, that it had “struck him with great force, and had interested him much”; that he considered it the only form of pure democracy that then existed and had concluded that it would be the best plan of Government for the American Colonies. 

 

View Our Services Visit Our Gallery

Built in 1794, the Tribble home was a large two-story mansion for its time, clapboarded on the outside and
plastered walls on the inside. With time, after the children had married and built homes of their own, the
house was taken down in sections. One half was left for tenant farmers and that was moved in 1967 to
Boonesborough Road where it has come back to life in its true heritage.

A famous vaudevillian actor, singer, dancer, and
probably the first and greatest comic female
impersonator on stage in America was a descendent of the Tribble African enslaved household:
Andrew A. Tribble.   Known as “Andy” he was born and reared in Union City,  He went to the black school in Richmond. His brother was “Amos” Tribble, and the famous radio show was entitled “Amos and Andy.”    Andy Tribble was famous on the Chicago and Baltimore stages and in Europe. He died while
performing on stage in 1935, after of career that spanned 40 years.

Nathan L. Amster rescued the Old Parsonage when the Tribble farm sold out of the family. Amster disassembled it and moved it to its present location on Boonesborough Road between the Tates Creek Baptist Church that Tribble founded and the reproduction Fort Boonesborough where Tribble’s
son and family lived. Amster died of a heart attack while working on the roof. It then became the Boone Trading Post selling pioneer souvenirs to visitors on the way to the reconstructed Fort Boonesborough.